Are you seeing a drop in traffic on your website?
However, when implementing the Cookie Notice plugin, or the CookieBot plugin, for EU Compliance, your website may experience a drop in traffic, page views or more.
This is especially prominent if your compliance plugin is explicitly opt-in, requiring your visitors to consent before the plugin will track them. As a result, you may lose data since many visitors may not always take the time to opt-in.
- You won’t be able to track the first-page view of visitors, only the views after visitors have opted-in.
- Your average user page visits will go from 2.3 pages to 1.3 pages.
- Users with only one pageview will be considered a bounce rather than a real visitor. Thus your bounce rate may not reflect reality.
- Sessions will appear shorter.
- The source of traffic will be affected. Users that opt-in will be viewed as 100% direct traffic. One exception is if they consent, leave your site and come back within 30 days (which is the cookie limit for notice dismissal).
- Issues with funnel setup.
- Issues with affiliate source.
- If you have a goal of visiting a page, a visitor’s pageview may double count.
Data loss in Google Analytics might be a necessary side effect of your Cookie Notice plugin and EU Compliance to the EU GDPR.
However, you may consider using Google Analytics Opt-out, which is an explicit opt-out plugin, since Google Analytics does not track any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and users that do are explicitly banned as per their Terms of Service.
More information regarding setting up the EU Compliance addon can be found here: Getting Started with the EU Compliance Addon.
Legal Disclaimer: This addon is designed to automate some of the settings change required to be in compliance with various EU laws however due to the dynamic nature of websites, no plugin can offer 100% legal compliance. Please consult a specialist internet law attorney to determine if you are in compliance with all applicable laws for your jurisdictions and your use cases.
As a website operator, it is solely your responsibility to ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations governing your use of our plugin.
ExactMetrics, its employees/contractors, and other affiliated parties are not lawyers. Any advice given in our support, documentation, website, other mediums or through our services/products should not be considered legal advice and is for informational and/or educational purposes only and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date, and do not constitute creating/entering an Attorney-Client relationship.