ExactMetrics makes it easy for website owners to gain insight on how many visitors are clicking on telephone links. These are tracked within Google Analytics as “events”.
When you enable ExactMetrics on your website, you automatically enable telephone link tracking. This feature is available in all versions of our plugin, alongside many more events automatically tracked.
Follow this guide to locate where your telephone link clicks appear in your Google Analytics.
- ExactMetrics is already installed and configured on your website.
- You’ve allowed some time to pass for your Analytics to collect data.
- Or you’ve tested your telephone link tracking while logged out of your WordPress.
- Your Google Analytics date range picker is set to yesterday.
Below are step-by-step instructions for users who have a Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property or a Universal Analytics (UA) property. If you’d like, you can track into both a UA and GA4 property through ExactMetrics’ Dual Tracking feature (learn more about How to Set Up Dual Tracking).
If you’re not sure what kind of property you have, check out our guide to understand the differences between GA4 and UA.
Find Telephone Link Click events in GA4
Step 1: Go to analytics.google.com and choose your GA4 property from the account picker.
Step 2: Next open the Events report at Reports » Life cycle » Engagement » Events.
Step 3: Your telephone link clicks will appear as tel in your Events report. Click on tel to open a detailed report page.
Find Telephone Link Click events in UA
Step 1: Log into your Google Analytics account.
Step 2: Select the correct profile for your website.
Step 3: Under reports, click into Behavior » Events » Top Events.
Step 4: Look for Event Category tel to see your telephone link clicks over the chosen date range.
Step 5: Clicking into tel will isolate telephone link click events.
Here are a few suggestions of what to look into:
- Set the Secondary Dimension or Custom parameter to Source/Medium.
- Set the Secondary Dimension or Custom parameter to Page.
- Experiment with other options in the secondary dimension or custom parameter dropdown.
- Experiment with other menu items under events.
You did it! You’re now able to view your telephone link click events.
ExactMetrics makes Analytics easy and adds even more ways to measure your results. Curious about the source of your outbound link clicks? Check out our guide: How to Find the Source of Outbound Traffic in Google Analytics.